Welcome to IAPETUS2
Named after the ancient ocean that closed to bring together England and Scotland, IAPETUS is a partnership that joins the leading research universities of Durham, Glasgow, Newcastle, St Andrews and Stirling, together with the British Geological Survey and the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, in a united approach to doctoral research and training the next generation of leaders in the science of the natural environment.
IAPETUS is a multidisciplinary Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP), funded and accredited by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), offering PhD students a world-class environment in which to study, encompassing:
- A range of attractive fully-funded PhD studentships;
- Supervision and support from academics and researchers that are world-leaders in their fields;
- Tailored training and development programmes;
- Placements and internship opportunities; &
- Access to a vast range of high-quality laboratories, facilities and resources.
IAPETUS’ training and research is focused around a number of interdisciplinary clusters of internationally-recognised excellence, which spans the environmental and Earth sciences:
- Global environmental change;
- Geodynamics and Earth resources;
- Carbon and nutrient cycling;
- Hazards, risks and resilience; &
- Biodiversity and ecosystem resources.
Collaboration and knowledge exchange with industry, policy-makers and other non-academic organisations is at the heart of our activities. Over 30% of our studentships are CASE awards, which involve students working in close partnership with a non-academic organisation throughout their PhD and we already have over 35 external partners supporting IAPETUS’s research, ranging from BP, to the Natural Trust for Scotland, to the Ordnance Survey.